The Secretariat-General is an administrative body headed by a Secretary-General who is appointed by the Bureau of the Assembly on a proposal of the Speaker of a name that can be chosen indistinctly among the Clerks (i.e. professional legal advisers) of the House (Letrados de la Asamblea de Madrid), Clerks to the Spanish Parliament (Letrados de las Cortes Generales) or Clerks of the another Regional Assembly. The current Secretary-General is (for the second time) one of the junior Clerks of the Spanish Parliament.
At the parliamentary level the Secretariat-General has as its main responsibilities:
- To assist, advise and give technical and legal support to the Bureau, the Board of Spokesmen, the Standing Deputation and the Committees it attends, by drawign up the minutes of proceedings, , under the supervision and authority of one of the Secretaries of the body and with the Speaker´s countersignature (el visto bueno del Presidente), and providing for the implementation of decisions
- To handle abnd carry out the administrative tasks of the Assembly in their physical sense, under the authority of the Speaker
- To receive the credentials exhibited by members just elected, deliveredTo them as the case may be, by the Provincial or the Central Electoral Board (Junta Electoral Provincial o Central)
- To deliver, at the request of the member concrned, the necessary certifications of attendance of parliamenmtary meetings on thr basis of the minutues as duly autenticated by the membvers acting as secretaries of the corresponding Bureau
- To keep the Register of Declared Interests of the Assembly (i.e. the formal written statement of ecomonic and financial assets of the members at tre time of their election).
At the strictly administrative level the Secretariat-General has basically the following tasks:
- To have at its command the staff and sdervices of the Assembly, according to the instructions of teh Speaker and of the Bureau of the House
- To coordinate all personnel and administrative services belonging of the Assembly in the framework of its official organization
- To exercise the institutional and functional authority over the Corps of Clerks to the Assembly of Madrid (Cuerpo de Letrados de la Asamblea de Madrid) as the House’s lawyers in judicial proceedings and, as the case may be, in the Constitutional Court (Tribunal Constitucional), with the power of giving them in matters of procedure either directly or through the Chief Clerk of the Legal Department (Letrado Jefe de la Asesoría Jurídica) the orders, instructions or guidelines he may see fit for the service of the House.
The Basic Secretary-General has a hierarchical position over the three following Directorates:
- The Directorate-General of Parliamentary Procedure
- The Directorate-General of Parliamentary Administration, and
- The Directorate-General of Information Technology
The Secretariat-General, as an administrative unit, also comprises:
The Auditor’s Office.
It has the rank of a Directorate-General, with the following remit:
- To discharge, concerning the House’s work and management, the tasks normally aassigned to the ther Auditor in regional administration at large.
- To check in advancd all acts, documents of files thast may entail rights or obligations of a financial nature or give rise to a transfer of monies or securities
- To check the lawfulness, in budgertary terms, of all formally authorized payments before they are actually carried out
- To check the use or destination of any monies appropriated for works, supplies, purchases, assistance and services, including the examination of sall relevant documents
- To check the annual report on the on the execution of the Assembly’s Budget.
- To keep the Asssembly’s accounts.
The Legal Department
It has the following functions:
- To draft the legal opinions and reports commissioned by the Secretariat-General
- To issue legal reports on administrative matters
- To defend the Assembly before the Constitutional Court and any other jurisdictional.
- To carry out under the Secretariat-General’s’ instructions any high-level assignements, studies o proposals of legal advice or aassistance.
The Technical Department.
It is entrusted with:
- The drafting of reports commissioned by the Secretariat-General and with
- The performance of any other high-level assignments, studies or proposals which the Secretariat-General may entrust to it.
The Inspection and Control Unit .
It has the duty to follow up and keep watch on all services and facilities of the Assembly, as well as to draft any reports and ptroposals requested frrom it.
La Sección de Registro General e Información.
Esta Sección tiene como primordial función gestionar los Registros Generales de la Asamblea de conformidad con las disposiciones vigentes.
The Security Department
It has the following responsibilities:
- To organize and to run the inner security system of the Assembly
- To implement the securities regulations issued by the Bureau
- To draft emergency and evacuation plans
- To give advice, to plan and to make suggestions on security matters, emergency and evacuation plans.
- To authorize vehicles into the parking lots upon production of evidence by the applicant of the necessity thereof.
- To coordinate with the States’s Security Corps and Forces the reinforcement of security devices on the occasion of special events.